My Zazzle

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Overseas Navy Guy and War Bride




Charming Miss Nicola and I attended a real live 1940's-era barn dance last night, at the Princess Anne Airport [not, not the one in Maryland - the one in Pungo]. Live swing music so she and I jitterbugged a bit, swing lessons provided, Cigar and Flower Girls parading about [I purchased two roses for Nikki - a red one for Valentine's Day, and a peach one to match her outfit - I offered to buy her a cigar, but she told me she's trying to quit ;-)]

Nice wee museum, too - mainly aviation, but some ground equipment as well, WWII staff cars, a German 88, various stuff.

Maybe half of the folks in attendance were in 1940's-era garb. Many zoot suits [although, truly, most of those were rented and appeared more from the Roaring Twenties], some Thirties getups [turtleshell caps and all]. Plenty of variegated WWII getups, aviators, Rosie the Riveters and all].

I wore Navy Service Dress Khaki consisting of khaki trousers, long-sleeved khaki shirt, black tie, Lieutenant's collar devices, khaki single-breasted jacket with gold buttons and Lieutenant's shoulderboards [gold star for Unrestricted Line, two gold stripes to signify O-3 Lieutenant status] along with khaki combination cover. No Surface Warfare designator device, no ribbons: the SWO pin and all of my ribbons were not in existence at the time, so I did without. By the way, facial hair was not the norm, so I shaved off my moustache and sould patch [aye, and parted my hair in a 1940's style, too].

Miss Nicola Crombie, Scottish War Bride from Glasgow [sadly, she cheers for Rangers instead of Celtic] looked lovely in a cream-coloured lace dress with a small rosebud at the Vee of her neckline. Matching heels and a wonderful lace hat [with 2.5 inch hatpins, she warned me!]. All finished off with a fur coat, the epitome of loveliness. Oh, delicate blonde hair as always; she did the front into bangs and the sides into pin curls. Truly, a lovely girl [and looks far younger than her 52 years, by the way].

Postscripts:
[1] After the dance party, Nikki and I went to dinner at our favourite spot, Daruma of Japan. I had just mentioned how sometimes when I have changed my appearance that I go unrecognized for a brief moment... we popped through the door and saw Chef Hiro busing a table [it was THAT busy!]; so I asked "Got room for two more?" Hiro-sama said sure, come on in, have a seat... about ten seconds later he started and exclaimed "Oh, Chuck-san, hello!" Hahahaha - took him that long to recognize me in uniform with no moustache. Good stuff, and please know that I am not making fun of my friend, just pointing out a funny circumstance. Daruma of Japan: it is a wonderful Japanese [and Thai!] restaurant with Sushi Bar, tables, booths and a Tatami area that I cannot get up from ;-) In addition to Chef Hiro, Miss Yoko and Miss Sophia [from Yokohama and Djakarta, respectively] were both there; Miss Noi [Hiro's mum-in-law] was back in the kitchen, and Kathy-san, Hiro's wife, came in later on. Good people I am happy to call my friends. Good food and friendly atmosphere - be sure to stop in if you are ever down on the ocean side of Virginia Beach.

[2] Nikki sent me an e-card a bit later thanking me for the best Valentine's Day ever :-) What a sweet girl, and I am so happy to be in her company. I kinda like her, ya know? By the way, I think we were the most authentic and best-matched couple there [and who knows, maybe we will have life follow art some day ;-)]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys
I've been around here for a while now, and I finally found something worth writing about: I found a neat resource on [url=http://html2rss.com/rss.php?id=235770[b]TV Stands [/b][/url].
Check them out I highly recommend