My Zazzle

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Lefty

I was wrong about Johan Santana. Johan pitched a shutout yesterday, on three day's rest. The Mets are 89-72, same as Milwaukee, and just like last year, it comes down to one game. Johan cannot pitch today, so the bullpen will implode, leaving the Mess to cheer for whomever plays the Brewers.

That's all background. We could have had Johan Santana from the Twins last year, in exchange for Ian Kennedy, Melky Cabrera, probably two other prospects. Alan Horne? Jose Tabata`? We should have pulled the trigger. Jo's 16-7 with the Mets. I daresay he'd have been 20-5 or so, with the Yanks. The fifth spot in the rotation has been home to several lesser luminaries so far this season [Ian Kennedy, Darrell Rasner, Dan Giese, Carl Pavano - who has actually pitched well - Kei Igawful.....]. I forgot the exact number, but the 5th spot has gone 9-19 or some equally rancid number. 12 games better? Yeah, we'd be in the playoffs. I was wrong.

Now, here's why I was wrong:
[1] I was afraid Johan Santana could not perform in the hot spotlight of Yankee Stadium. We cannot know for sure, but taking the ball on short rest after a career-high pitch count, and then throwing a shutout to keep your team tied for the last playoff spot with one game to go, that's gutsy. I think he'd be okay on the Yanks' hill.
[2] I was afraid of injury. Santana is not the biggest guy, and he showed signs late last year of arm fatigue. I could still be correct [I hope not, I like the guy, I like the Mets and wish them well, and I hope somehow we can pry Santana away from the Mets =:-0]....
[3] I overvalued some prospects. Kennedy has been a wash this season. Melky has returned to replacement-level player. Tabby displayed a bad attitude [and a regression in form] and got banished to Pittsburgh. That leaves either Alan Horne or Dellin Betances, if my memory serves me correctly. Essentially, we'd have sent Horne or Betances or some other prospect, along with three ne'er do wells, to Minnesota, for Johan Santana. I know, I know, hindsight is 20-20. In retrospect, I wish we had made the trade. We'd have made the playoffs this season.

Now, as far as next year goes, it looks like Cash is returning to right the ship. He has the right idea: build up prospects and plenty of pitching. In this one instance, getting Santana would have been the right thing to do, but overall, Cashman has the right idea. Pitching, prospects, speed. We'll be back, you can count on that, maybe even in 2009! [Speaking of back, now that I admitted I was wrong about Santana, does this mean Crazy Eileen is going to start hitting on me again? hahahahopenot.]

Go Yankees!

No comments: