My Zazzle

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Mighta' Beens

I haven't been posting of late. It's not because I have nothing to say; ye know me better than that. I've been writing for e-mails rather than posting here, and while that has been the norm of late, a dear friend told me that I should post this info here, so I did. This post, then, is dedicated to my one true reader. Thank you, Cuz :-)
This year is full of might-have-beens for the Yanks.

Play has been shoddy for a number of reasons and we have missed out on any number of golden opportunities.

Seems like half of the brand-new starters are rolled out to face the lads, who oblige by batting as though Cyclone Young or Amos Rusie have sprung back to life.....

I give Joe G. a little slack for this being his first year; but then, how many Yankees managers have won big in THEIR first season?

Bucky Harris, 1947, won WS
Casey Stengel, 1949, won WS
Ralph Houk, 1961, won WS
Yogi Berra, 1964, lost WS
Bob Lemon, 1978, won WS
Dick Howser, 1980, won AL East
Joe Torre, 1995, won WS

Dang! Is there ANY manager that went on to greatness AFTER the first season?
Well, Miller Huggins and Joe McCarthy come to mind.....
and that's pretty much everybody [1981 and 1982 are pretty much a blur - I think we had three managers in each of those years and lost the WS and LCS, respectively], oh, and Buck Showalter, made the playoffs in 1995, lost, lost his job.

So, Joe G. has his work cut out for him! Personally, I think he and Cash will both return, but I could be mistaken.

No comments: