My Zazzle

Friday, August 28, 2009

Not Musubi

Man, I sure had a hankering for Spam Musubi. It's Spam and rice with flavourings, wrapped in Nori [seaweed], kinda like sushi. Big, big fave over in Hawaii [Therese, since you are going over, try it! Oopsie - Teesss is a vegetarian! Never mind!]

**** Kathy and Hiro-san, my apologies: I'll likely be by for proper Sushi tomorrow :-) [Note: in Virginia Beach, visit Daruma of Japan for Japanese and Thai food, at the corner of Birdneck and Laskin Road, more or less.... wonderful, wonderful food and atmosphere, and the owners are truly treasures :-)]

Back to my story. Steamed up some rice. Had some Nori standing by [seaweed which one wraps sushi with]. Actually, I had Chef Kev standing by as well, but I elected to let him watch TV ;-) Pan fried some Spam in Teriyaki sauce until it was good and brown [actually, it was the generic substitute, and I pretty well charred it into oblivion....] - make sure there is plenty of sugar in the sauce! Dinna have a musubi press to form the rice, so I served the dish up as a plate of rice with Teriyaki Spam on top. [Not to mention I have been drinking beer, so my motor skills are ebbing a bit at the moment].

Hey! It's not horrible! Anyway, turning the remnants over to Kev, to see if he can salvage something. We often do that: I set a few random ingredients on the counter, and Kevin gets to make a meal from those and whatever else he chooses. Just like TV, and it keeps his skills sharp :-) Gotta scoot - more Teriyaki Spam on Rice awaits.....


No comments: