My Zazzle

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Soccer and Patriotism

You might have guessed, I really enjoy soccer. I am also a patriot. So, here's two things which really annoy me:

[1] People who claim they are patriotic, but say they hate soccer and could not care less if the American team loses. Ever hear of Stephen Decatur? [Yes, dear "Anonymous", he was talking about foreign politics and I am drawing things out a bit, but whatever. No, "Whatever", I am not requesting your presence, either! ;-)] I say it's okay if you do not like soccer, and choose to remain oblivious. Personal right and choice and all of that. But, if you are aware of the American team and you hope they lose? Man, that's not cool [well, unless you are cheering on your OWN nation's team!]. Un-patriotic!

[2] People who claim to be soccer fans who say things like "I would cheer my own team, but they can never win the World Cup, so I will cheer on Brazil or_____ {fill in the blank with current favourite to win, and please note that Brazil just got their arses handed to them by Germany, 4-0, so pick another}. Point being, how do you know they can't win it? Did you think Georgetown would crush Villanova? Did you think the Dodgers would hold on and win the pennant in '51? Did you give up on the Yankees in 1978? How do you know? Stop jumping on the bandwagon already!! Cheer your own team!!

I think it is probably a generational thing. We had a good team back in the 20's and 30's, but lost something during Pax Americana.... I think we got in a habit of looking down on the rest of the world and saw soccer as part of that, thought we were superior and that everything foreign was contemptible. The American team beat England in the World Cup, 1-0, in 1950. Didja know that? Yet, the US team spent the next 40 years, fruitlessly being a small fish in a small, backwater pond [CONCACAF - basically North and Central America]. Lack of public support, and, public disdain even. We can do better. We ARE getting there.

Now, that band-wagon thing. Attention spans rivaling that of a gnat certainly play a part, and I am guessing that with maturity comes wisdom, and perhaps, patience. [Wishing band-wagoners would consider Cub fans, loyal since 1908.]

With that, Happy Independence Day!
Go, hot dog eaters! [Noon ET from Coney Island, on ESPN].
Go, Lance Armstrong! [Tour de France prelude was yesterday, full ride begins today.]
Go, Yankees!
Go, team!
and,
USA! USA!
:-)

No comments: