My Zazzle

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Snowy Blah Chachouka

It's cold today, and a light dusting of snow on the ground. Not the kind of morning where ya rise and shine. Nonetheless, I awoke at a bit before five to read the news and such. Good day for chachouka, a Moroccan/Tunisian dish, and coffee.

Here's what ya do [spices are what I whip together - you can choose yer own]:

Thinly slice some peppers. I use green peppers because of the cost factor, but any bell pepper will do. I then dice 'em, and do the same with garlic cloves and onions. Sautee these veggies in olive oil - I use a wok with enough oil to cover the bottom. Once they get somewhat translucent, I drop in a can of Italian tomatoes in juice [crushed or diced, no matter]. Let this cook down, stirred up, covered. I put in cumin powder, turmeric, white pepper, basil and red pepper flakes.

Once the stew has cooked down a bit [20 minutes or so, stir occasionally to keep it from sticking/browning], crack in eggs. I used three this morning. You can poach 'em, or like I did today, turn off the heat and cover, letting sit for ten minutes or so. This way, they were sunny side up, good for dipping with bread.

Serve over rice with bread for dipping into the eggs. Yummy and filling.

Today, I also enjoyed Caribe` coffee ["for the Latin taste"] with a pat of butter stirred in, Abyssinian-style. No sugar or cream. Goes nicely with chachouka.

Great way to start a frigid morning.

Once I finish my repast, I will do my bills and hope the wind stops blowing. Maybe around noon I will go for a run on the beach. It's 34 F outside [back in Detroit, I ran in as cold weather as 7 F, so layer up!]

This afternoon and evening, football!
Think I'll make glop for that ;-)

2 comments:

Charmaine said...

A little late here in responding, but what a super yummy breakfast that was! I enjoyed reading about it...and your day. Thanks! :-)

Charles L. Wallace said...

Thank you for always being there, Charmaine - the blog is a friendlier place when you visit :-)