My Zazzle

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Yankee Thursday

New York Yankees icon Joba Chamberlain is heading to the bullpen, as a "back end" sort of reliever. This is pretty much the same situation that he excelled at, late last year [when not being threatened by biblical plagues].

No one is sure if he will be a starter this year, at this point, although all believe that he will be a starter in the future [too many plus pitches to waste in the BP forever]. Manager Joe Girardi does not care for timetables or the inherent binding feeling, so schedules and such are just speculation.

In other news, the Yanks went up to Blacksburg, Virginia, to play an exhibition against Virginia Tech. Raised some money for some good charitable causes and got some people smiling [which is maybe even more important than the contributions]. Let me set aside political considerations for a moment and say this: what a nice gesture by the Yankees organization. Classy.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

well color me surprised!

hehe

Charles L. Wallace said...

Oh, it'll last for, well, until the first pitching crisis hits or thereabouts.

Know what's REALLY cool? Every time I begin to think about all of the great young arms [who could be the Joba/Phil/Ian of 2008's new season]: I ALWAYS miss one or two [which speaks volumes to our quantity of quality]!

So, let's go, from memory -
Alan Horne. I think we are going to see big things from this guy, and pronto!

Humberto Sanchez - big frame, big arm. Coming off TJ, building strength, should be a phenom in the stretch drive.

Mark Melancon. Another guy coming off injury but has an impressive resume` and some serious tools to back it up.

Ross Ohlendorf. I know, I know, Ohly has already made his ML debut, but the kid has both velocity AND movement on that sinker - COULD BE THE NEXT WANG.

Carl Pavano. What?
Oh, it's not April 1 yet?
Damn.

Anonymous said...

You know Chuck, with all due respect, I would say that you can't call the rookie an icon just yet. Might he have the potential to be one? Sure, but so have countless other rookies. It's pretty rare.

Now Clay Buccholz, no matter what happens with his career, can be called an icon. A no-hitter in your second game....yeah, that's a no brainer. :)

......is it time to start playing 'Tessie' yet????


PS- if you can find a way, you *have* to see HBO's 'John Adams'. Have. to. I was geeking out like the history major I am- and usually I'm heinously critical. Everything is pretty much exact down to the last detail and stray hair on the wig. Eeeeeeeeeeeeee! :D

Charles L. Wallace said...

Yes, me darlin'-o, Joba is an icon. Not in the same sense as Ruth or Gehrig or The Great DiMaggio, but a man for the season, just as Laptops is for the Bostonians. No worry - they have time to cement that relationship.

John Adams; aye, I'd like to watch it. I don't know as much about Prez #2 as I would like to. Say an advert and was intrigued [alas, I don't have HBO :-(]. I'll have to purchase the dvd when it comes out....

Lots of furniture and such still to acquire. I hope to get a flat-screen TV this year, and prolly a good idea to move off the couch, too, at some point =:-0 Hoping to save enough to get a boat of some sort, too. Gotta start saving!