My Zazzle

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Working Wimmin

When ya get into a rut, boy, it is difficult to break out of it! I promised Melanie that I would write at some length, though, and so I shall.
The rut involves working women and my dilemma. You see, I like women who work. [Well, as a generality, I like working women, but I am speaking of a few certain individuals here].
When dear Pixie departed, I came out to the East Coast to work, and work is wonderful. I love the work setting, the work I do, and the people I work with. Living at the beach is pretty cool, too. Great area!
Pix wanted to follow her career, and I have no issue with that. Except, she says she doesn't like the East Coast [Personally, I think that if she actually came out here, she would really enjoy it, but she's pretty stubborn.] So, she finished off her degree [and I am so proud of her for it!] and is using it to better her career. This is taking her to Tyler, Tejas. Long-distance relationships just don't make a lot of sense when there is no light at the end of the tunnel, and she was concerned about potential liability issues, so she filed for divorce, and I've got another ex. Now, all joking aside, we're still on good terms and I consider Andrea one of my dearest friends.
So, exactly how does that impact my daily life? Trend analysis, chum. Here in VB, I have had two women say that they would go out with me [although neither has actually done so at this point, but that's just scheduling, right?] [Oh, and one other gal at the supermarket gave me her phone number, but it was disconnected and I think she's off to rehab or some such sad story].
You see, the two gals I like best down here work and have definite plans for their career, and like I said before, I have no issue with that. One must be the best that they may, and strive for excellence, and I support that. Alas, each has no time and in the end, will be leaving the area.
Marina. What a gal! Imagine Angelina Jolie, but taller, brunette, rounder face and less collagen. She's saving up to tour America in the summer, and works two jobs. I've seen her fall asleep, leaning against the wall, standing. Each position began as a part-time assignment, but when yer good, they keep passing ya the ball, right? Last week, she skated ten shifts. That's two full-time jobs! Well, she'll have to get used to business and sleep deprivation, because she returns to Omsk in August to med school. I admire her work ethic and I've told her so, and I am proud of her success. Little time to date, and that is unfortunate, but she said she would. We just have not been able to work out the scheduling details.
Smiley. The girl next door [not literally - she lives and works across town, takes me 20 minutes to drive over and visit on a good-traffic day], but ya know? She's actually a striking blonde, takes yer breath away when she's cleaned-up, but dresses comfortably for work. Great personality [hence the nickname!]; I began by enjoying a steak and beer in her serving area, but over time, discovered that I actually had feelings for her - enough to drive across town on my off day in order to be able to share the space-time continuum, eh? Coming up on finals, and working full-time, which once again inhibits the scheduling process. She's an aspiring actress, and while that ensures I'll get a really nice autographed photo, it also ensures that she'll have to leave the area to follow her career. [Ok, ok, there's an ex in the process for her, and he has the inner track, but that's life, right?]
Three gals, three careers. I am determined, but I am not going to "settle". I am not going to resort to a matchmaking site and I am not going to frequent nightclubs. I, too, am stubborn. I'm going to meet someone whom I like, and go about the process the old-school way. No, I'm not going to try and persuade anyone to change their plans, either. That would not be cricket ;-) I just need to find someone whose career actually takes them here instead of away. It could happen, couldn't it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It can indeed happen. :) It does happen to nice guys who remember that they promised someone something, too. :D Sweet as he is, Seth would forget his head if it wasn't attached, so I tend not to put too much store by promises anymore.

Stinks about the timing though, huh? Although at this point I feel more married to the Dana (I keep talking about work at home..)than I do Seth. Hence the interview. If I can find something a little more stable, in my career track that allows me more time with family and friends, then I'm willing to not hurry up the corporate ladder.

All depends on your priorities. Besides, you shouldn't settle either. :) I'll have to swing by and say hola if I get a chance to go visit my family down there.

Anonymous said...

Hey

nice blog

just hoping you could add my blog to your blogroll and i will do the same for yours. Thanks

Heres the link

metsmagicteam.blogspot.com

thanks

Mike

Charles L. Wallace said...

:-) Always welcome, amiga - do pop in and say howdy! Aye, any news on the interview front? I'll have my fingers crossed for luck [and many thanks for the kind words :-) ]