My Zazzle

Sunday, May 4, 2008

What is With the Hullabaloo Over Chloe Marshall?


This is Chloe Marshall.


Currently Miss Surrey, she'll be a contestant for Miss England later this summer. [That's Team England colours on her bikini, by the way - white with Cross of Saint George.]

As you can see, she's a big gal. 5 foot ten, a hundred and 75 pounds or thereabouts. There's been lots of opinions flying about; people have polarized over the situation. You see, some people feel that it is horrid that any plus-sized person should be in a pageant [what is it, now? A beauty pageant? A talent pageant? What?] Others feel that pageants glorify anorexia.

Who is it, to decide that thin = beauty? I say if pageants are meant to be contests, they need to be open in their admitting policy. Otherwise, it's just an exercise in elitism.

Of course, some of the comments have become truly vitriolic in nature. One woman hopes that Chloe will not win because she fears that it would send the wrong message about weight and health to society. Some have called Chloe fat, lazy, a poster-child for any number of ailments, stroke, diabetes, heart disease..... the gamut goes on and on.

I don't know Chloe. I have read the story and seen her in photographs, and I have seen various video feeds. Seems like a nice-enough person, seems to have self-confidence, and a good thing for that. Seems healthy enough [one news video interviewed her while she was working out in the gym] and not at all lazy.

My opinion? People should put away their ignorant biases [or, better yet, deal with them]. I am not on either side of the discussion - I am for healthy living. Could Chloe Marshall be even healthier? Of course. Should she? That's really up to her. Does being bigger than the average pageant contestant send a bad message to society? That's just plain idiotic. People who waste their time worrying about her sending the wrong message to society should be harnessing their energy in some other forum which might actually be of benefit.

Does this mean that Chuck doesn't like thin women? Not at all! I like individuals, not categories. As for Chloe Marshall, I like her. I would happily date her. Except for the across-the-pond commute being a bit difficult. And her being only seventeen. In the pageant, I wish her good fortune :-)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you.


Good stuff Chuck.

Charles L. Wallace said...

Thank you, Sir!

Anonymous said...

Ok, Chuck. You just summed it up nicely. As a not so petite girl myself (5' 9 1/2" flat footed and a couple bucks, so to speak), all this kind of stuff really steams my clams, since I'm trying to get out of the habit of cussing.

You can, in fact, be big and healthy. Even doctors say so. Healthy does not equal 'Wow, skeletal is in this season'.

Congrats. You have just summed up why I hate people.

PS- A sweep ok with you? I would say it was pretty emphatic, too. ;)

Charles L. Wallace said...

Thanks, Punkin'... a sweep? Surely! Got us back over .500 ;-)

And, for the record, you're pretty cute also.

Anonymous said...

You only love me for my baseball smarts, but thank you. ;) Order has been restored to the universe, and Tampa is back on their way down the standings. :)

I do have some pretty serious concerns about your rotation and pen down the stretch, though. It's looking a tad shaky. There are some pretty big durability questions all down the Yanks' roster. We'll hsve to see how it plays out, but I'm not convinced they'll make as strong a late season run as usual. Thoughts?

Charles L. Wallace said...

Not at all, dearest. I love you for the history degree, the charity work, and the belly-dancing outfit as well ;-) [oh, plus AD&D and DKMs, too!] hahaha

Well, we ARE a year older, but then again that is not a bad thing for Melky n Robby. Geriatric concerns so far: Posada, first and foremost. Giambi. Jeter. Pretty much those three, off the top of my head. And, the now merely human Alejandro Rodriguez.

List of guys defying age:
Godzilla, coming back nicely from injuries. Sadly, tentative in the field, but hits like the house on fire. Abreu, steady as a rock. Damon, defying age [ok, he's in left instead of CF, but that opens a spot for Melky] - must be those sexy calves ;-) Andy Pettitte, pitching better than the record shows. Mike Mussina, suddenly channeling Rip Van Winkle! The Great Mariano: still got it.

We have plenty of parts, too, so when one wears out, another steps in. I'm not afraid of any Yankee collapse coming. Et tu?

Anonymous said...

Now you're just making me blush. :)

I love the captain more than a good Sox girl should, we all know that, but I agree he's not getting any younger. Muscle strains and pulls are all part of the process, and more frequently. Giambi- we all know why Jason's breaking down so fast, regardless of age. He's said as much himself. Posada- now here's an interesting question. How things go for him from now on will largely depend, I think, on how he bounces back from being on the DL for the first time. Will there be some mental stuff going on, will he just jump back on the wagon? I'd be interested to see. And a tad concerned if my only other option is Benjie Molina.

With the guys who are defying age currently, the biggest question is for how long? We know Damon is well-acquainted with the DL, Matsui is losing some his range in the field, and Moose, though glad to see him on a decent streak, is still a *huge* question mark in an already unstable rotation.

It's not like we're feeling the same thing in Boston-most of our big names have already done a stint on the DL so far this season. We know for sure that we can count on the young guns to come up big for us- Pap, Ellsbury, Lowrie (man, I like that kid...), Moss. They've been fortunate enough have had the time they needed to really, really develop in the minors(I think it was something like 3 or 4 of our 05 draft class is with the big club now). With a reasonably freshly stocked system, can Cashman say the same without a little trepidation? The only way to know is to see how things play out in NY.

On last night's game against the Tigers: Tim Wakefield's been one of my faves for a while, and it's nice to see his knuckler was dancing. 8 innings, 2 hits, shutout ball. :) Back to back homers by Papi(who's looking more comfortable) and Manny(497!), and a decent game by everyone all around. Nothing spectacular, just going out and getting the job done. All I need from my boys. :D

Charles L. Wallace said...

Blush?
Well, tickle, tickle! hahaha

I published your last as a separate blog post, kinda like a guest contributor. Hope ye dinna mind ;-)