My Zazzle

Saturday, November 3, 2007

La Bella

Happy Birthday to me. I went over and had dinner, and had a good time. Originally, I had decided upon Coyote Cafe, a purveyor of southwestern cuisine [Tex/Mex]. The place was dark, and indeed the interior was gutted. Looked like renovation occurring. Hand-written signs on the windows indicated re-opening November 7th, and good luck in meeting that deadline!!

Low on gas, I went across Laskin Road to La Bella Italia, which is a bit more classy [and pricey] than the average joint. Has a nice Italian deli, as well. The hostess seemed a bit spacey - took me a moment to distract her from her interesting conversation with a co-worker, and she asked me if I was there for a carryout. Um, no, and I looked presentable. Polo shirt, slacks, just like everyone else. Ever notice that when you dine alone, you get crappy tables? I got seated on the aperture between two dining rooms, and had my space invaded right and left. Next time I will be more assertive in seat selection, when I am more comfortable with the place.

My waitress [Somaya] was a charm, very friendly and attentive, and I felt better already. I ordered up Signor Moretti's brew, and an ice water for hydration. Appetizer: capicola, roasted peppers, and fresh mozzarella over lettuce, which makes a fine salad. Enjoyable! Saltimbocca [and another Moretti] for the main course, and it too was nicely done. I saved half of it, and some of the side dish of pasta in red gravy, for today. [Getting full!].

For dessert, I had tiramisu with a cappucino. Nice finishing touch, which indeed finished me off.
Drove home and began to snore shortly thereafter. In review: nice place, good food, friendly staff. With tip, came out to $66, which is a bit more than it needs to be, but I enjoyed it, and I recommend going. Try it!! Mangia, mangia :-)

4 comments:

Charmaine said...

Well, how about that? I discovered Cafe Bella recently, and you go ahead and find La Bella Italia. :-) Granted, you spent a small fortune compared to my Bella, but heck, it was your birthday and you only live once!
Besides, you got the whole shebang--drinks, appetizer, main course, AND dessert. Moretti's a really nice beer, isn't it? Have you ever had Peroni? I like that one, too.

You gave me some good laughs with your story here, so I always appreciate that. You just added a few more seconds to my life, I'm sure. :-)

Charles L. Wallace said...

Well, birthdays come along only once a year, so I splurged. I am glad you enjoyed reading about the experience - when I saw that Coyote Cafe was closed, I headed for La Bella, and right then I knew that you would want to know about it :-)

I do like Peroni beer. I like Moretti a little better, as to me the taste is a tad crisper and clearer, if that makes sense? It is the one with the dude in suit and hat on the label, enjoying a frosty mug, which is exactly what I do, sans the suit and hat ;-)

I am truly glad that you enjoy reading the Ravings; I enjoy writing them, and I enjoy sharing them. I guess I like to talk!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, so sorry I missed your big birthday.

Hope it was a great one.

Charles L. Wallace said...

No worries, brutha - next year is the milestone [50] and I've got an entire year to dream up something [like when I suggested to Pix that we get married in Vega$, at the drive through chapel of Elvis, and when Elvis asked [imagine Elvis' voice here] "Would you like fries with that order, Sir?", I could say, yeah, I WOULD like fries with that order ;-)
Had it been ex #1 or #2, I woulda super-sized, too =:-0 hahaha