My Zazzle

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Billy Says....

Remember what Billy Joel said? It's all rock n' rool to me.

Why is everybody getting so patronizing? Seems like the music wars always flare up, somebody says something sucks, but the targeted person retorts that something else sucks. Leave it be..... it's about MUSIC, you motherfuckers, music!!! I don't give a fuck what you listen to [well, if it's good, and you enjoy it, tell me about it. What do you like, and why.... I'm open-minded. I might even buy a cd. Just ask Mallory or Jim F'n Rhoads] All of this Rap Sucks, Death to Metal, et cetera - who gives a fuck? Are you morons so perfect that you can run my life in addition to your own? No, of course not - you are pissing away your futures; thank you, but I can manage at least that, on my own. It's about the MUSIC, for Chrissakes!!! Music, that which soothes the savage breast!! Look, if we would just stick to the music, we'd all be content. Know what causes the stress and disagreement? We get to talking about it, and we reveal to all just what patronizing, racist, intolerant bastards we are. Talking. THAT's what got us kicked out of Eden. Here's what I like [but it's only what I can think up on a moment's notice, right?] Listen to The Beatles. Really, really listen to the chord changes, the overlapping melodies and arpeggios. Listen to the lyrics. Listen to The Yardbirds. Recognize some of the chops from what you listen to? I thought so..... Take a night, invest in a tank of ga$, get ya some Cajun Chow, and catch Brian Curran with Folk'n'Bluesgrass at Broadway Oyster Bar. It's a cheesy lil' dive, but the food is good, the setting is intimate, and Brian and the boys are a lot of fun. Picking - you can hear individual notes, and a lot of eclectic stuff that maybe you had forgotten about. Hank, Senior. Mississippi John Hurt. Johnny Cash. Leadbelly. Just because music is old, doesn't mean it's not listenable. Go see Hudson and the Hoo Doo Cats. Rockabilly, rock, blues. Fun, fun stuff...... take my recommendation. Don't worry about what other people will think. Go and enjoy. Or not. No worries if you really don't dig that sort of thing. Hey, remember what Joe Strummer said? You have the right to free speech, as long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it. Well, guess what. I'm talking, THAT's what I got to say ;-) Enjoy it. Here's my point. No one cares if you think it sucks. Go enjoy what you DO like, and peace be with you. I'm going to go running. I do it old-style, no pods or sound sources. Blondie will be on the list, from my new $3.99 Live album [thank you, M] and who knows what else. Happy Thursday, you lucky bastards. Chuck sends BT AR

12 comments:

Unknown said...

hi,
Nice blog you have! Keep up the good work. Just want to come here and say "hi" to you.I know you are ready to celebrate this weekend just like I do. I will come back to your blog and check on your good works often. So be ready! Just joking.

Charles L. Wallace said...

Hi, Pete! Thank you for the kind words. I have a lot to write about; visitors always welcome :-) You are correct, big weekend - Yanks at Fenway for three, Gators and Tennessee football Saturday, and Pirate Fest over in Wentzville, plus packing and moving stuff to storage [getting ready to move to Norfolk]. Busy!!

DMan said...

Music is a great thing. Where would the world be without music? It's been there throughout history, setting the tempo for the times.

Get your optimist hat on! Lets go Yankees!

Charles L. Wallace said...

After Saturday's game, I just might head over to Broadway Oyster Bar and catch Brian Curran with Folk'n'bluesgrass, live. Might be some draught brews and oyster shooters in there, too. Gotta celebrate those Yankee victories! Now, which optimism hat? The standard-issue Yanks classic, or the Yanks in corduroy? :-)

Denise G said...

Billy, what in the hell are you talking about? and what's with all the f-bombs?

Charles L. Wallace said...

Billy's an impassioned fellow!
It's all rock n roll to him ;-)
He means that no matter what you listen to, enjoy it, and not to worry about telling someone else that they are wrong for listening to something else, but just to enjoy yourself. Rock on!!

Andrea said...

music = life

Charles L. Wallace said...

Amen, Sistah - Sing it!

Andrea said...

lol. I'm not sure you want to hear me sing.

Charles L. Wallace said...

I would, indeed. Broadway Oyster Bar, my fave local haunt, replete with plastic fish tacked up in the now-enclosed courtyard of an old, crumbling brownstone. Cajun cuisine, oysters, and mucho draught would sweeten any voice. Sadly, leaving it behind to move to Norfolk... But, The Jewish Mother in Virginia Beach has deli during the day, and live blues at night!! I'm stealing my own thunder by writing about all of this, but I am excited by it all. And, yes, you can sing if you want.

Anonymous said...

Of course, there's always the philosophical debate on whether rap can *technically* be defined as music. ;)

I would go completely crazy without music- you'll have to ask my fiance how many times I asked him to change the CD in the car on the drive to and from Maine. I also have whole lists of bands/groups/etc that span the whole range of music. Must come from being a performer myself. :D

Happy Monday, anywho.

Charles L. Wallace said...

Well, if not music, then music substitute ;-) At any rate, I don't care what other folks listen to - but I DO care what I listen to! Happy Monday, everyone, and welcome back from Maine, Melanie.