My Zazzle

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

September Eleven

Today is September 11th. I remember 9/11/2001 - my office was in the middle of the employee cafeteria at the now-defunct Lear Auburn Hills Plant. The TV was on from break time, and we watched as at first we remembered the Empire State Building incident, where right after WWII an Air Corps bomber [was it a B-24 Liberator? I don't remember] flew into the ESB. When the second airliner flew into the Trade Center, we knew it was no accident.
This incident is symptomatic of the terrorism threat which had already been going on, and continues to this day. I spent my youth worried about the Red Scare, and we outspent those guys, who [whether officially or with a wink, wink] have now discovered the joys of capitalism. I am proud to be an American. We have the mostest, and we should not be afraid to share. If someone is starving, feed them. If someone suffers from a despot, free them. We have the capability, why not the responsibility? Makes us a target, I know, but isn't that our burden to bear? It'll be a long and difficult struggle, this fight against terrorism. Six years ago I knew this. My question then is my question now: does America have the stomach for it? Look around, listen. We do not, not yet. We will, for the terrorists will not give up easily [that's what they do]. Essentially, we are facing Fourth Generation Warfare [the crumbling of the state and the effect of non-state elements; gangs, terrs, social upheaval]. My newest question: how much will it take for us to find our resolve? What has to happen to bring us to our senses? September 11th - never forget. Proud to be an American. Let's roll.

No comments: