My Zazzle

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Enter Scarecrow?

Had a question asking if Tyler Clippard should be considered as a future closer. Here's my dos centavos:

Clip's an enigma. Looks like a scarecrow or some malnourished soul; in fact, he is 6 foot 4 and over 200 pounds. Despite his size, he lacks a blazing fastball. Mainly hits low 90's, I think he has been able to reach back and hit 94 but not on a consistent basis. Good curveball [learned from Nardi Contreras] and changeup which is difficult to time, can throw a slider from time to time. I can see him as a swingman or middle-rotation starter, but [personal preference here] since he lacks the ol' hummer, not as a closer. Ty got a pretty short shrift this year, and here's the thing: he's a finesse pitcher. They take longer to adapt when going to a new league. The local fans and media just about ran him out of town on a rail [except compared to Matt DeSalvo or Chase Wright]. Case in point - last night, Phil Hughes was rocky through two. Folks on a real-time blog that I frequent advocated pulling him out. He settled down, and ended up going six, allowing one earned run. And they say Mr. Torre burns out bullpens!! Anyway, let's see how Spring Training proceeds. I'm not counting on Clemens. If Moose is cooked and Andy doesn't come back, we're going to need all the help we can get. Tyler Clippard might be some of that help [and if we have plenty of starters, he might stick, in the BP]. That's my assessment :-)

4 comments:

DMan said...

Wouldn't be the worst thing to have him in the BP..

A lot of the bad judgments on him stem from his lack of velocity..

He always had great control but he lost a bit of it..

If he can regain some control and walk fewer batters more consistently, he should be all set.

Charles L. Wallace said...

I can't wait til' spring training!
[hoping Ty will have gained velocity to go with his new mass].
I earnestly believe that he will be a pleasant surprise. Thanks, YFiB. Go Yankees!

Denise G said...

Andy is coming back for sure! He can smell the World Series right now, I'm telling you! Pettitte is a true Yankee and he knows it! NY is where he belongs, certain players just need to be where they need to be, i.e., I don't see Clipper Jones being anything but a Brave. It just wouldn't be right. Same with Posada, even if Torre goes. Clippard needs some more time with Eiland, he is a finesse pitcher kinda like Mussina is. But Mussina, save for the last month, has been good b/c of his experience and Tyler has zero to rely on. big difference.

Denise G

Charles L. Wallace said...

Gee, Denise, I sure hope you are right about Andy - we could really use him next year! I feel he is a True Yankee, and definitely belongs in da Bronx. I agree on Ty Clippard, I think Dave Eiland will work wonders with him. Hope so :-)