My Zazzle

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Pirates?

I forgot yesterday was International Talk Like A Pirate Day... Right after reading about it the day prior. [Naturally, being a mariner, I can actually talk like this and know what it means ;-)] I am almost tempted to make a Pittsburgh reference here [Pittsburgh Pirates, right?] but I am bigger than that. They were right, anyway, I have an arm weaker than Johnny Damon, and can't hit the slider. =:-0

Here in Saint Louis, we have a Pirate Festival every year. http://stlpiratefest.com/
It's going on now, weekends through October. I went last year, might not get a chance to this year due to packing and moving :-( Pity, though - I wear Pirate Garb when I go [really!!]

Here's my gear:
Felt tricorn [black] pirate hat with several ostrich feathers.
Black long sleeved shirt with drawstring closure at neck, ruffles at neck and sleeves.
Black denim kilt!!! [Aye!] with chrome snaps and black sporran [that's kind-of a man purse, originally designed as strategic frontal armor]. Brand is Amerikilt. Check 'em out at http://www.amerikilt.com/ good product and good guys :-)
Red sash to tie around waist where shirt and kilt come together, long enough to have one end dangle in accepted pirate fashion.
Black Corcoran boots [favored by paratroopers since they began jumping out of planes].
http://www.corcoranandmatterhorn.com/ That's right, another link!
Black soccer sox which I tend to roll down from the knee to an acceptable length a bit above the boot top. Sadly, no photos of this ensemble exist :-( If I manage to go this year, I will endeavour to get pics.

Wonder if they have pirate fests out east? No, not in Pittsburgh - in Norfolk, where I am relocating to. Arrrr, savvy?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, look at that. I thought the Sox had a stranglehold on the geek fan market. ;) Myself, I'm looking to go to the local Ren Faire in garb, even if no one else does.

Man, I was so born in the wrong century!

Anyway, happy Friday and huzzah for the Xbox 360. (Just picked one up yesterday...I'm like a kid in a candy store. )

Charles L. Wallace said...

Man, I coulda SWORN I responded, but musta hit delete somehow :-( Anyway, I remain hopeful of getting into Pirate gear and dragging Pix along on Sunday, but it's dicey [not Dicey! haha!] right now what with moving and selling furniture and all...

Happy Friday!!
Huzzah on the 360, too :-)

When is RenFest up yonder?
Ours in StL is in May [I was on assignment in North Carolina at the time]. Not sure when Virginia's is, I shall have to look it up. Fun stuff!!

Anonymous said...

Sept. 1st- Oct. 22nd. It has pretty permanent grounds just south of Boston and a little north of Providence.

www.kingrichardsfaire.org

Anonymous said...

..or .com. I can't remember right now.

Charles L. Wallace said...

Gosh, Mellie, thank you for the info. It's a longshot, but who knows? Arrrr [or maybe I should wear the tartan kilt and just be a regular ol' Scotsman?] :-)